We're Home!


Kemper went into surgery at 7:30am and was done by 11:15. His doctor decided to keep him overnight to be on the safe side because of his young age and because he was implanted on both ears. He had also placed small drains behind his ears to help get rid of the excess fluid to cut back on the swelling. They were removed the following morning. Many children getting CI's go home the same day and do fine but I was glad for the overnight stay just for the fact he was able to get some stronger medicine for pain control. Every few hours he would get really fussy and inconsolable so the tiny little dose of morphine they gave him allowed him to rest. He was also extremely clingy and would not let anyone put him down so I had the nurses bring in a regular hospital bed and my husband and I took turns holding him while he slept through the night. Spoiled boy wanted nothing to do with a crib!


Since we have been home little K has pretty much gone back to his old self. He wants to play with all his toys, but has been having a little difficulty since his balance is just a tad off. It seems like he feels like his head is to heavy for his body, poor little guy! We get to take off his ear covers tomorrow. He's a tummy sleeper and he has been having trouble going to sleep and getting comfortable with those things on his head so I can't wait to take them off. I don't think I can take another entire night holding him in my arms just so he can sleep.
His appetite was great while he was in the hospital, but he hasn't been too interested in eating much since we got home. He seems to be feeling well, I think he would just rather play and not eat.
He still gets pretty fussy at times and I can tell his hurting a little, but I have been giving him alternating Tylenol and Motrin and it has seemed to help.


A little morphine goes a long way!!

I can't believe his surgery has come and gone and it all went extremely well. Thanks to all our family and friends for their thoughts and prayers. Thanks to all my blogger friends for all the information, without it he would not have been implanted so soon. Stay tuned for activation day February 11th!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've been praying for you three! -Love, Tracye & Grant

tammy said...

So glad to hear that the surgery went well and little K is starting to feel better! I think the whole surgery was the hardest part of this journey for me. Now the countdown until activation! Yay!

Stephanie said...

New to your blog and your story. What an amazing/scary/exciting time in your life =) I'm praying for your little boy and your family!

Amy said...

Looking forward to hearing about the activation! So glad to hear the surgery went well too.

Lily's Mom said...

I'm so glad everything went well. I remember Lily's balance was off for about 3 days after her surgery and she didn't want to eat much. She actually threw up after a small dinner the first two days after surgery. Her balance was off so much that she could barely sit up. Of course I worried too much and took her to the ENT. She was fine. I just didn't know what to expect. Can't wait for activation day! Congrats on having this day behind you.

Unknown said...

So glad everything went well! The fun begins in 3 weeks though! That is so exciting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...