All because of a shell



  I haven't had much time to blog lately but I wanted to a share an article I came across about Graeme Clark, the inventor of the cochlear implant.  This article discusses how he was recently awarded the Lister Medal, for his outstanding contributions to surgical science. It also tells the story of how his deaf father inspired him to develop the cochlear implant and how a simple shell on the beach made it all possible.



Our family will always be forever thankful to Graeme Clark. Everyday we get to see his modern miracle in action.  Seven months ago our child couldn't hear a jet engine pass him by, now he can hear a whisper. All this because of one mans vision and a shell on the beach.


 
We, along with many other C.I. families have adopted the shell spiral/swirl as our family emblem. Each time I see a shell or swirl I can't help but take a picture of it. It means so much to us now. When it came to picking out K's new car seat I knew exactly which pattern I liked best! ;)

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Glad I'm not the only one who has a bit of a shell/swirl obsession! Love the car seat.

Melinda said...

If your interested there is a book Graeme Clakr wrote, i just finished reading it, it truly is amazing to read. its called : Sounds from Silence. Im sure you would be able to buy it world wide, but it is very great to read :)
We havent ventured down the CI road yet with my daughter she is only 6mths, they wont know for a bit longer whether she will need it. your jounrey has been amazing though, i love reading wonderful stories like yours :)

Elizabeth said...

I collect cochlea spirals and shells from wherever I go! Like Melinda, I loved "Sounds from Silence: Graeme Clark and the Bionic Ear Story" and wrote a review of it here: http://cochlearimplantonline.com/site/?p=287. I highly recommend it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...